View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 AM
janeknapp

Here's what Sandra Leichner says in her blog about making colored pencil permanent.

http://sandraleichner.com/wordpress/...ique-tutorial/

The Tools:

Regular Prismacolor colored pencils (the bigger the selection, the better)
Cotton Swabs
A paintbrush around size “0″
Jacquard Colorless Extender #100 (this will look white in the bottle, but dry clear)
A hot iron no steam

The key to using colored pencils properly is to use the dull side so you do not apply harsh lines that are difficult to remove and blend. For once, do not use a sharp pencil!

Layer your color. Don’t add the whole tube of lipstick all at once. Start with a very soft transparent layer, blend gently with the cotton swab, continue to layer color until the right intensity of color is achieved.

Ok, now you are ready to make this permanent, and I mean washing machine permanent so make sure you like your results.

Yes, Fellow Quilter, You can Make Colored Pencils Permanent!

I was told after many an inquiry that all you need to do now is to iron the area with a really hot iron and voila! permanent. Hmmmm, not so much. Nothing like doing a lot of color layering work to perfection and then washing only to see a shadow of the color left behind. Everyone say it with me here…”grrrrrrrrrrrrrr”. Ok so maybe I used a stronger word(s), but you get my general drift.

So I experimented, a lot! and found a solution that REALLY works. Aren’t you really excited now???

Take the colorless extender and your paintbrush out of your toolbox. Now you do not need very much of this extender, just a little bit on the tip of your brush and with a feather touch, and barely touching the surface of the fabric, leave a thin (really thin) layer of the extender over the colored pencil area.

Once the area is covered with a thin layer, let it air dry. Once the area is dry then heat set with a dry iron for approximately 5 seconds. That’s it! If you washed it on your strongest machine cycle, the color would stay exactly like it was before you washed it. It really is permanent!