Thread: Fabric on hand
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Bill'sBonBon

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Originally Posted by himom122
It is called a limited income.
Let me address this, as for the last three years I have been under the poverty level. My fabric comes from estate sales, thrift stores, sometimes e-bay or Walmart. I combine with the quilt shop fabric I have left from better times, and with affordable fabric on sale. I never buy fat quarters, except for swaps, because I can generally get at least half yard for the same price. I have no problems dyeing fabric that may not be a color I need, but adaptable and inexpensive. One local e-bay seller I picked up from gave me yards of extra when I told him I was a quilter - his mom quilts, too.

If I see a great bargain, it will come out of the grocery money, and I will eat just macaroni or rice for a week. I also noticed an ad on Craigslist where a woman offerred to swap fabrics. It may be a way for me to upgrade. The classified section here is also a great resource.

I do have a large stash from better times, but if I were starting out, I would definately look for options to grow my collection. There are swaps here monthly - maybe if you get a bargain on something, you can trade strips or charms for other colors. I am proof positive you can increase your stash frugally. You just can't increase your stash on an austerity budget AND be a fabric snob!
You know I am happy for all the folks that can buy as they please,I think you are fortunate. I do as Moonpi(,except for the eating part,DH and DM would probably hang me up to dry.) :shock: :lol: :lol: when I can. Everyone in this hectic,dont know if you will have a job today or not in this world of ours, just isn't able to do a lot of actual buying form Hancocks or whatever. I have a lot of Quilting Goodies gotten before I retired. Because I knew I would not be able to get them Now. Believe me unless you are prepared like a lot of savings,pentions have your house paid for, money is scarce. circumstances of a persons life is just that. If you can't buy you can't buy. I don't get to buy the material I want,I usually have to adjust to what I have. When I do have a special quilt to make I buy that material. Always buy more than what i need. But Yes I only buy when I make a quilt. Reason,I have to plan ahead for the money.
But most of my material is gotten at fleamarkets,yardsales ETC. I know there are a lot of quilters like myself but I also know there are some that cannot even do that. Praise the Lord that they even have food and a roof. I have reread what I keyed to see if I sounded hurt,angery,I dont think I do because I am not either one.This is a wonderful board to vent,ask for help material and spirit wise and I hope that never changes.
BillsBonBon