Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
Lacelady..your quilt is beyond gorgeous! What an inspiration! I just got my book today in the mail and I amj so ready to do block 1...but I have a problem...how do I do 10 inch blocks instead of 7? Do I just cut the blocks bigger or enlarge the applique patterns too? Can you help..thanks!
Enlarge a design by 142% on a photocopier/printer and it will sit nicely on a 10.5in block (I cut mine 11in and trimmed down a bit once I had done the applique). You won't be able to get the whole design on a sheet of A4, but if you get more than half of it, then you will still be able to copy it onto your background fabric square by doing it half at a time.

If you used the design straight from the book and put it on a larger background square, you would have a lot of fabric around each design, as the ones in the book are meant for 7in squares.

Making bigger squares, and therefor a bigger quilt (mine measures 92in square now) means you will need more background fabric. I bought 15 yards, and by the time I have done the binding, I estimate I will have between half to one yard left over.