Thread: Retail quilts
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
PrettyCurious

Originally Posted by Peckish
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
I bought a bunch of fabric to make summer dresses, cuz I don't like wearing shorts. When I told my friend I got enough fabric to make 5 dresses for about $30 total, she wanted me to make her some. When I told her she couldn't afford me, she wondered why. When I told her how many hours per dress x $10 per hour, she was shocked.
She probably assumed that since you told her it was $30 for you, it would be $30 for her, not realizing that you would charge her for your time and the altered pattern.
I had no intentions of charging her for my time and altering the pattern. I just didn't want to do it, because the patterns were on sale when I got mine. So was the fabric.
I've offered to teach her to sew, but she doesn't want to learn, and won't drive either, so I have to go to her house 30 miles away . . . to do do anything with or for her. I just don't have time for that. Sometimes I only have 15 or 30 minutes to sew. That's how I get stuff done. 30 minutes here, or an hour there. As of right now, I've only finished 2 of those dresses. If I promised to make hers, she'd still be waiting.