Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
So, do you ever really get a perfect tension on the old machines? I have a black 301 that I LUV. I use it but the tension has always been a "tad" off. There is always a tiny bit showing either top or bottom. And my top tension will be awful if I do anything other than between 0-1

I have a tan 301 that i'm not so in love with. Doesn't sound the same as the black one and I just can't bond with it yet. I can NOT get the tension even remotely good on this one. It's "ok" but not right. I'm tempted to pop it in the cabinet and use it just to be using it and hoping it works out some on it's own. I'm seriously thiking of sending it to Billy in a few months for a makeover. I love red. Maybe I would LUV it in red :)

Now I know why I would always hear my mom bit*hing about the tension :oops:
If you can assemble a quilt you can do this: I would take the whole thing apart - yup take it apart. No kids. No pets. No DH. 'o/ Keep a muffin pan around and put the parts in it in order as you take it off. Use the tension diagram in the manual. A lot of the old manuals have instructions to take the tension apart and put it back together. (The first time I did one I was very nervous - I shook the whole time.) Just go slow - look at it carefully as you go. Clean EVERYTHING real good and put it back together according to the diagram. I amaze myself every time I do one. I don't even need the diagram anymore. I just routinely clean the tension when I get an old machine. Dried up oil can cause drag and rust or burrs can break threads - dust bunnies need to come out all makes the tension messed.. Hey if nothing else you can run some dental floss through there and pick up some of it. I just like the feel of it when I've taken it apart and cleaned it. Keep another machine right next to you so you can look at it as you reassemble. Here is an expanded diagram. It is the only one I know of with the picture of the pin. It is from sewclassic's catalog - I hope Jenny doesn't mind. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Tension-...572-125417.htm I posted it a couple pages back as well. If it doesn't go back together right take it apart and do it again. Pay attention to how that spring goes when you take it apart and in the diagram and in the other machine you have next to you. You can do this. You have made quilts. You have cooked. Go slow and don't worry it has been done before. If it is any help the service manual has about the same instructions as the owner's manual. They must have meant for the owner to take that tension apart on occasion. I do have one that doesn't work. It needs some adjustment on the presser lever. I haven't done that - the machine isn't turning and needs a total spa treatment some time.