View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tars__D12.html

You have to cut each cross piece 1/4" bigger than to the center. Most of the time the size is based on a starting square. It makes the marking on the diagonal easier.
But in ontheriver's example, she's not using a standard FG where the length is double the width.

If the FINISHED FG were to be 2.5" x 5", then the two squares would be cut 3", and the starting rectangle would be 3" x 5.5" (addition of the seam allowances).

You always add 1/2" to the FINISHED width of the FG to get the size of the squares (or just use the width of the rectangle - IF it's a 2:1 ratio).

In ontheriver's case, her starting rectangle is 2" x 5" so her FINISHED FG will be 1.5" x 4.5". She wants/needs a specific size for her project.

So she needs 2 rectangles for the background, but rectangles don't work up the same way as the squares.

If you try to place it, sew on the diagonal and fold it back like you do with a square, it won't work.

Try it with a small piece of paper.

The measurements for those background rectangles would be 2" x 2.75" (I'm pretty sure - it's early), but they get placed at a weird angle before they're sewn on to the starting rectangle.

And my scanner and camera aren't cooperating right now so I can't show you. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere.