View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM
clem55

Before I ever started school, I played sewing on a toy Singer machine that you turned the hand crank to make it go. I made a chain stitch. I don't really remember what I "made" but I remember a set of children's encyclopedia that had patterns and instructions for sewing. In the 5th grade at school, we actually had homemaking classes twice a week. We learned to make a potholder,apron, and headband, and then we had cooking class and had to use those items. We had those classes through 8th grade, and in high school I continued with homemaking classes. From 7th grade on I made a lot of my clothing. I made clothes for my mom, sisters, daughter and sons, and for my grandchildren. Sewing has always been something that I loved doing. When I was little I got to play sew on my grandma's treadle, and my mom was always, making clothes for her 4 daughters, so I guess it just was something that was a natural thing for me to do. I remember making clothes for clothespin dolls using hollyhock flowers and acorn caps for them.