Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
The place for good metal bobbins is listed in Miriam's post about 3 up from your post re plastic bobbins in a metal machine. Not an expert here but this is my theory. The plastic is so light that it unwinds differently (beacuse of lighter weight) than does a metal bobbin. You also find older bobbins wuond with several different colors because people were more frugal and if the spool had some thread left, the ladies or men would put that onto a bobbin vs. just discarding the thread remnant as we are likely to do now. I got about 15 bobbins with one of my vintage ladies and without exception all had at least 2 different colors on them. I hope this helps. ~ Chris

FYI: The metal bobbins don't work n the plastic machines either. Don't ask how I know that.

Yup! They were frugal back then. I too picked up a machine with many of the bobbins having multiple colored threads. I now use that thread in basting my quilts. Quick way to recycle the thread and empty the bobbins.
My 301 came with 3 original bobbins, and every one of them had at least 3 colors wound on!!
my mom used to wind a new color on there. I have gotten old bobbins with machines with layers of thread. I want to know how you would get to the first layer to use it??? Did they wind the other thread on to a different bobbin until they got the color they wanted? I just own more than 3 bobbins... LOL I like it when the bobbins work from one machine to another so they interchange.