View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
luckylindy333

My Mom taught me a little, when I was probably 8-9 years old. I made a dog head and a cat head that were sort of circular pillows with the face embroidered. I remember having a really hard time sewing the front and back together!

Then my Grandma had me make a mumu when I stayed over at her house once. Mom and Grandma always had a project on the sewing machine. We made a lot of garments.

I almost forgot to add Home Ec! Taught by nuns! We made the manditory apron, then several garments. I tried unsuccessfully several years later to make quilts a couple of times and never finished them. I worked in the fabric department in a large dept. store for a year- that was the time of polyester double knits, so I made a lot of garments then.

When my friend had a baby, I made him- the baby- a quilt from a pattern, probably Simplicity, that was in the shape of an elephant with the ears and other details in big appliqued shapes in bright colors. I actually was in a sewing class when I made that.

I started quilting in the 90's and really got into it. I ran into a teacher in my first quilting class at the Ben Franklin store in Monroe, WA, who became my best friend. We sewed together with my DM for many years and took many classes and went to lots of retreats together until we lost our dear friend Rhoda to cancer.

I really must thank the Quilting Board which got us both sewing again. DM is 84 this year and still quilting!