View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
sunflower126

I started sewing doll clothes when I was about 8. I imagine my mom taught me how to sew. I sewed all through Jr./Sr. High and actually helping the teacher in high school. When I got married I made all of my own clothes and for my 2 children. Made clothes for my girlfriends 2 girls too. She would buy enough fabric for her girls and my daugher as payment. Continued making my daughter's clothes and dance dresses throughout her high school years. Went into business for myself for about 8 years doing seamstress work for a local bridal shop, dry cleaner, and several dress shops. Most of those were alterations. For the bridal shop I was also called upon to make gowns in "special" sizes. I also made uniforms for our high band auxiliary. (majoroettes, color guard, and drill team, even a band uniform for a "special sized" band member. One summer I made 100 shirts, cummberbands and bow ties for the band to wear as summer uniforms. Made alot of dresses for my granddaughter until she became a teenager. I made too many to count bridesmaids and flower girl dresses. Several wedding gowns too. The only clothing I sew now are sleep pants for the 5 grands. After all of that sewing, I no longer have the desire to sew clothing. My dream when I was working in the fabric store was to able to one day have the time to quilt. I taught classes at the fabric store on various subjects including quilting. I started quilting about 2 1/2 yrs ago when I retired.

I don't recall that my grandmother ever sewed. She did tatting to put on pillowcases. She tried many times to teach me. Not sure if I couldn't learn or just didn't have the interest at the time. Sure wish I had paid attention then.