View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I go To The Sea To Breathe

I too learned to sew in Home Ec class in 7th grade. My Dad was stationed at the Navy Shipyard in Boston I think. We lived in Danvers, Mass for 2 yrs. first time I was ever in one place that long....We did an embrody sampler with french knots and lots of stitches I don't even remember. We had to make a pair of flannel pjs. I picked out a clown pattern with ruffles around the neck, sleeves and ankles. I made them and they were so hard tomake...in 2 years we moved back to South Carolina and I got rid of the jammies. too hot for the south...but then I did not sew until about 7 or 8 yrs later when a friend named taught me the real meaning of sewing. of taking out even a slight mistake, of using other than cotton for dressy clothes, to make childrens clothes. I sewed a lot then. I thank her so often for making me rip out seams. I think she really was a quilt police. LOL my mom made all my younger sisters clothes and did not use a pattern, never saw her buy one, she would cut it out of newspaper. I have one sister that makes messianic jewish costumes and she does the same way. always wished I could do that. If I don't have a pattern, I can't do it...