View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Got three yards of 108" wide bleached muslin to iron for my current quilting adventure and I'm finding that its difficult to manage. I tried ironing the whole thing at once, but I'd get frustrated with it, set it aside for a couple days, and when I'd get back to it what I already ironed would be wrinkly again even if I tried folding the thing neatly to the best of my abilities. I have been staying with my boyfriend for the last few days and seeing he has a way bigger room to work with I decided to take the fabric, ironing board, and iron with me. I started to iron it out before he went to work and his toddler was still watching cartoons to lull him to sleep. A couple hours later I'm no closer to getting the whole thing ironed. The fabric that's not currently being ironed somehow manages to twist itself into a ball no matter how hard I try to avoid it from happening. And if that same area twisted into a ball was just ironed then I get wrinkles again and thus ruining all the work I just did.

I finally gave up on ironing the whole piece and switched to ironing a section at a time until its big as the panel I need and then proceed to cut a perfectly smooth panel from the rest of the wrinkled mess. One panel down. Seven more to go. Thank goodness I didn't need all three yards of the extra wide fabric to be in one whole piece! But what about future projects where I don't feel like piecing together my backing?

There's got to be an easier way to iron a large piece of fabric like this.