Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Yup! They were frugal back then. I too picked up a machine with many of the bobbins having multiple colored threads. I now use that thread in basting my quilts. Quick way to recycle the thread and empty the bobbins.
Monica, I never thought to recycle that old thread by using it to baste. I just take it off all the old bobbins and toss it in the garbage. You all please don't make something important with the old thread from those bobbins or spools. The project you make will come apart at the seams after being washed one or more times because thread gets rotten! I went through all my Mom's old Dual Duty before she left and threw it all out! Mom was very frugal and had thread that was 30 + years old because she never wasted anything. I could not stand the idea of Mom making something beautiful with nice fabric only to have to fall apart because she wanted to save money and use old thread! It is not worth it to make a beautiful project only to have the old rotten thread fall apart down the road!

Nancy