Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Leota

I'm learning to cook gluten now also but my dd doesn't live at home - she's grown up now.... How I wish they had had gluten free stuff when she was growing up... poor child almost starved to death because she is also very allergic to Soy. We also weren't told anything about gluten except "wheat allergy".... NO... it's so much more than just wheat. We are just now learning about gluten and foods that we thought were "Wheat free" were loaded with gluten...ie Oatmeal!

I've been buying the Red Mills Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour... saves the ratio dilemma that I had with mixing all the other flours.

Funny story... when she was 15 she wanted a tiered cake (like a wedding cake) We had just learned that she was allergic to wheat and so because rice flour was very expensive, we didn't know anything about gluten free - neither did anyone else - i took a pound of rice and ground my own rice flour... The cake was tasty, but very brickish...meaning dense and heavy... we still laugh or groan... our attempts to baking gluten free now is much better.