Thread: cookies
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Ramona Byrd

[quote=Aunt Patti]I need a recipe for a cookie or brownies that use mashed sweet potatoes. or any kind of a sweet. i have a little guy who has severe allergies especially to white potatoes.
--------------------------------------------
Look online at the Nightshade family, which includes potatoes/tomatoes/peppers, etc. And most likely there are lesser allergens with THEIR off kinfolks, which might be cumulative instead of instant allergens. My late DH was a plant propagator, who himself also had lots of allergies, so that was a subject we were vitally interested in. And no smoking should be allowed around your little guy, as well as watching his food intake.
Have you checked out Taro root? My dear late MIL used to put them into nearly everything!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Nightshades - a description

Nightshades are a diverse group of foods, herbs, shrubs, and trees that have fascinated scientists, doctors, and nutritionists for centuries. "Nightshade" is actually the common name used to describe over 2,800 species of plants, many with very different properties and constituents. All of the plants, however, belong to a scientific order called Polemoniales, and to a scientific family called Solanaceae. To give you an idea of the diversity associated with this group of plants, consider the fact that tobacco, morning glory, potato, and tomato are all classified as nightshades.