Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
sailsablazin

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by alleyoop1
I am surprised at your comment about what foods contain gluten. My daughter has to avoid gluten and she can't eat anything with wheat in it. Perhaps there are different degrees of this disorder.
I dont know who comment you were surprised at as you didnt quote it but there are different degrees of severity.
There is Celiac and withing celiac you have people who can not have even the tiniest bit of gluten even from cross contamination.
Then you have those like my husband and his father but do not get physically sick (so if they cheat nothing happens right away) but they have bad damage to their intestines and they both have general gastric problems.

Then you have Gluten intolerance/sensitivity and that too ranges for how much it effects that person.

These are the things that natural contain gluten
Wheat
Barley
Rye

Oats do not contain gluten BUT! they are grown in the same fields growing wheat and and processed on the same equipment so cross contamination is heavy. Also Oats have a protein in it similar to gluten. If you are a severe celiac then you may never be able to eat oats

Hope that helps. I have been playing around with gluten free stuff for 7 years now as that is when everyone started getting Dx. But my husband was stubborn and it wasn't until he pretty much had no choice before he went on the diet compleatly
Anything that says "food starch" is also gluten suspect. Except the KRAFT company...when their product says "food starch," it is either potato flour or tapioca flour. There are many, many foods to avoid.....most cereals...for us,, definitely oats, etc...After 30 years, I am an expert on this...ugh!!!