Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
merridancer

I see your pie question on the quilting blog and mentioned it to my friend whose family is very involved in gluten free diet and cooking due to gluten intolerance in their family. In fact, they have started a gluten free grain business: www.bigrivergrains.com which you can order all the "wierd" grains from: Amaranth, Buckwheat, Flax, Millet, Quinoa, sorghum and teff.

She used to use recipes that were all rice flour based, but says she has found tremendous luck using sorghum flour in her basic "baking" mix for a better consistency in baked goods. Her new "bible" is the cookbook "1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes" by Carol Fenster. There is a basic mix in the first few pages of that book that is the base of all the recipes. Though she hasn't tried a pie crust with it yet, she says she makes the best buttermilk biscuits around and a mean chocolate cake, yum.

If you want to talk to her directly, you can email her thru the website. And, of course, I am supposed to give Big River Grains a plug and let you know their individual bags of flour will be available on line in the new few weeks.

Good luck with the pie crust.