Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM
DogHouseMom

[quote=Butterfli19]
Originally Posted by np3
About your second comment, I thought similarly. Wouldn't it be nice to watch fabric being made? (Maybe something to google.)
Different manufacturers, operators and experience, quality of raw materials, internal quality standards, fabric treatment, storage and in-process handling - all that goes into a bolt of fabric.
Other considerations ... who is operating the machine that day, temperature, when the machine was last PM'd ... sooo many variables which is why all fabric acts differently.

I remember my Junior High School sewing class. Teacher made us pre-wash fabric (providing it was wasable), then bring the fabric in UNCUT and we would use 4 people to take each corner and pull the fabric until the selvedges were straight.

I do believe that washing/drying fabric let's it "find itself" with regard to grain direction. My thought process to stretching the way my teacher instructed is ... when I wash it again it may skew again to "find itself" and now my lone star looks like a spinning star! And now that I think of it ... it's certainly possible that the skirts that I made in class that teacher said were cut wrong (so hung wrong) were cut RIGHT but "found themselves" when laundered. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dedicated pre-washer, pre-dryer, non ripper, and starcher

Sue