Thread: sewing table
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
young at heart

Hi all, I see many of you love your Horn cabinets. I have had 2. The first for many years and was very happy with it. Then I began quilting and updated my machine to a Janome Memory Craft 6500. It was too long for the original cut out so--- I updated my cabinet as well. It has many positive features as already listed, BUT I found I could not sit directly in front of the needle when ditch stitching, and would end up with a sore back from being slightly twisted when I was needing accurate stitching. I still use this cabinet for my smaller Brother but bought a Janome sewing table purpose built with a cut out for the larger machine. Granted it needs another table behind and to the left when quilting large quilts, and it doesn't fold as some of the others do, but it is very sturdy, no shakes or rattles and plenty of leg space and your choice of sitting position in front of the machine. For me, at my age, comfort and good posture is VERY important. One negative is that the machine is in place and cannot be hidden as with a Horn so I suppose a separate sewing room, away from children and guests may be needed ( I use a spare bedroom). One of my tall friends also had an issue with her Horn cabinet as she had had knee replacements and couldn't comfortably sit with knees bent at right angles for too long.She tends to sew with her legs in a more stretched out position and therefore went back to the dining table to quilt. My advice is to sit at any table you are thinking of buying, note leg and body position in relation to machine needle etc. I do like the Horn cabinet for all the neat storage it provides but for me it is uncomfortable to use for extended periods. Good luck with your shopping.