Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
cassie69emt

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Originally Posted by irishrose
Do you have xanthan gum in your mix? I mix rice flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour and xantham gum and have had good results lately. I also have gluten free oatmeal flour which adds a nice flavor. But some people can't have oatmeal at all.

BTW, your pie looks wonderful. We celiacs know things may look a little different and appreciate your efforts.

I did put xanthan gum in it. I used rice, tapioca and corn starch. The crust itself I think is alright I was just so disappointed that it bubbled over like that. I kept watching it and kept watching it. I checked it one last time and said it needs maybe 5 mins went back in 3 and it looked like that lol. If the crust had browned like the regular pie I might have been able to catch it but it didnt. Ohh well I am sure it is still good.
And thanks I am trying. I have made the best cookies my husband has ever had (so he says lol) and I found some pretty good doughnuts and he likes the bisquick pancakes
I do not know anything about gluten free cooking so I am not sure if you can do this for it or not so please keep that in mind .Have you tried to use tapioca in your pie filling instead of the flour to thicken it?I would also do an egg wash to get the crust to brown it up or you could try just basting the crust with milk.Would love to know whether this is an option with the tapioca for gluten free diets so I don't look foolish again.