View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Lisanne

Thank you all for answering! I checked out many of your suggestions online, will head to the auto-plex tomorrow for more test drives.

Originally Posted by DebraK
We picked up a wonderful used Lexus from the dealer for $10,000. Like brand new. We love it.
DebraK, you made my jaw drop. $10,000 for a Lexus? However did you negotiate that? I'm sure it wasn't sitting in the lot with that price on it. (I'm not interested in a Lexus. Gas mileage is too low, and I'm sure maintenance costs would be high, but I'm still awed by your deal.)

DogHouseMom, if the Honda Fit seats really adjust to straight, I'll give it a try. MadQuilter, I agree, the look is goofy, which I wanted to avoid, but on the other hand, I do like my Honda. The other problem I have with the current Hondas is the high rise of the doors and slant of the windshield, which blocks visibility to lane lines and the ground. Worth a test drive, though.

nyelphaba, I hadn't thought of a Scion. I wouldn't be comfortable with your XB, but I looked at the TC online. Nice-looking, but the gas mileage isn't good.

Originally Posted by lfw045
Maybe you should go American made and try a Chevrolet Impala..they get good gas mileage and are a comfortable ride.
You struck a nerve, because I grew up in Detroit, so there's always some guilt about not buying American. However, reliability and long car life is a must, and American brands don't have that. Also, American auto workers tell me that most parts come from overseas anyway. Add to that the fact that many foreign brands have factories here (most Hyundai Elantras are made in Alabama, for example), and it's meaningless now.

MrsM, I do use cartalk.com, should take a look at their brand recommends. Thanks.