View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Deloris

I have had any sewing machines in my lifetime (75)and have tried all the major brands except Brother and Janone. My first good machine was a Bernina 830 in the early 80's (which my daughter has) , then several Vikings, Babylocks, Pfaff Creative 2. Now I have a Pfaff Creative 4 which I am selling because I purchased the Bernina 803 at the Lancaster Quilt show in March (at a very good price with trade-ins and I can't afford to keep both machines, although I would like to... In general, all were good machines and I liked them, but there are features in each that bugged me. However, you learn to adapt. I am just learning the 803- at first I thought it was too advanced for me, but thanks to lessons, I'm beginning to think it's a fabulous machine. I doubt that I will ever use it to it's full potential, however. The Lancaster dealer arranged for me to get lessons from the local Bernina dealer at his expense. I would not have bought it otherwise. You definitely need a good dealer who is willing to give you lessons. The local Bernina dealer is excellent, and I would have preferred to buy it locally, but the price difference was too great. I started out wanting a Bernina machine because of the stitch regulator. No other machine maker offers that. I just had my lesson on it, and it will take some practice , but I think I will love it.

My experience is that unless you purchase the machine from a local shop, they aren't willing to help you, and you can't blame them. Most owners will give as many lessons as you need. Since I have finished the basic mastery classes, I will have to pay for any more lessons, but they are more than willing to help me if I have a question.

Sorry this is so long- I would have preferred to send this privately, but I can't figure out how.