View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Peckish

I have a friend who is a nurse, I donate finished tops to her. She owns 2 quilting frames - one machine is computerized, so she can quilt 2 at a time. She can quilt 30-40 quilts a month, and most of them are for the "Passage Quilts" program - they go to terminally ill patients at a nearby hospital. When the patient passes on, the quilt is given to the family. You should see the thank-you notes - they made me cry like a baby. One 9 year old boy was losing his mom to breast cancer, and he picked out a quilt for her that had apples on it, because she liked apples. A male patient was depressed, but his spirits picked up when he saw a pieced quilt of cats - he really missed his cat. One of the women who now helps piece these quilts was the recipient of a Passage Quilt. Her brother had been ill and passed. Someone warmed up his quilt in the dryer, then brought it to her, still warm, wrapped it around her and told her it was a hug from her brother.

The quilts are about 45x60, large enough for a twin, but not too wide, so they don't interfere with the hospital bed mechanics.