Old 07-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Quiltmaniac2010

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I have posted several times on QB about pre-washing fabrics because of the chemicals in the fabrics. I have psoriasis and in the past year or so it has gotten incredibly worse. My hands have become involved so much so that they crack and bleed and are swollen to almost twice regular size and it has flared it up on other areas of my body. It has been linked back to fabrics. My hands will itch and burn after an afternoon of touching fabrics in a shop (favorite pasttime!!) I have different creams for different parts of my body and I take oral medications as well as I am now on the injections to get my psoriasis under control. There are so many chemicals in the fabric from manufacturing and to make it look crisp and pretty in the store. Thanks for the information about washing it 5 times. I definately will from now on. . .
Oh, I'm so sorry Auntpiggy!!! What torture for a quilter - not to be able to "feel" fabrics!! I prewash everything - mainly to get the sizing out and stop the colour from bleeding. I have found that my hands get really dry during my "peak" quilting times - mostly during the winter. I thought it was the cotton absorbing the moisture out of my hands, but now think it is probably the chemical residue in the fabric! This is a very interesting post. Thank you all for contributing.