Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 AM
charity-crafter

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Hi everyone. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I hate summertime colds. Does anyone have a good remedy for this. I'm taking my vitamins and drinking alot of sugar-free OJ. I took some cold meds and I think it's making me feel worse.
Chinese style ginger tea, not the american style that has had a piece of ginger dipped in to a cup of water. My dh introduced me to it many years ago when we first got married.

Take a big handful of ginger, slice it as thin as you can get it then chop it. Pour into a quart of water, boil until it's reduced by 1/2. Add sweetener and drink. YOu know it's working because you can feel the burn as it's going down your throat.

It clears up the nasty post nasal drip and cough for me anyway.

You don't have to make it that strong, you can just let it simmer for about 20 minutes, add things like sliced lemons, a smashed clove of garlic, a couple green onions with the green part still attached. Or you can throw in a cinnamon stick to give it a little different flavor.

My mom lives in an area where ginger is super expensive so she just makes due with powdered ginger and says it works also.

Fortunately, around here we have several large international markets and now I can buy it concentrated and just have to add the boiling water.