View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 AM
eparys

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
This may seem a little strange, but I have a cutting mat that has warped a little and considering it's age, I would warp too. It is a 17x23, so I am trying to get a 12 or 13 square mat from the corner that isn't warped.

My question is how can I salvedge a portion of this mat? I would like to make a smaller mat that I could use in small places for small squares. How do I cut it?? There must be some way.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
OK - BEFORE you cut it up - here is something I did. 17X23 should fit into your oven so try this - >

I had a huge one that was left in a hot car and it was not laying flat. When I took it out I tried everything. I finally did cut it up with a pair of heavy scissors so I could fit it onto a large cookie sheet, I laid another cookie sheet on top of it, put an Iron skillet on top of that on the middle rack of my oven. Turned the oven on to 250 and let it cook for 1.5 - 2 hr. Turned off the oven and let it sit overnight - the piece was perfectly flat in the morning. It was not as flexible as it had been but flat is better than wavy and I now have several usable smaller ones that I can take to classes etc and not use my replacement.