Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Thanks to all for this fascinating post. And to whomever made the comment about formaldehyde in carpet...thank you. We have been considering replacing our carpeting in the house, and now I think we will have to consider something else...I wonder, do they make carpet from organic fibers...and no chemicals? Will have to research this...

I recently picked up a MaryJane's Farm magazine...in the current issue there is an ad for Organic Cotton Plus...an all organic fabric company. Now I've NOT investigated their web site nor if their fabric has chemicals on it, nor what their prices are....but the web site is
www.organiccottonplus.com...if any of you are interested.

oh yea, the ad says free shipping in the USA....that's cool!!
Its not necessarily formaldehyde in carpet, but the voc's (volatile organic compounds) Those come from the adhesives to adhere the face of the carpet to the backing, and sometimes from the backing itself depending upon its makeup. Whenever purchasing new carpet to be installed request that it be opened to offgas 24 hours before installation. Make that a condition of the sale, or if you can't plan on a hotel or visit somewhere else the first 24 hours since that is when the gasses are released. Formaldehyde is in all particle board so never let that stuff (often the base for plastic laminate) into your house, it never completely goes away. I have regularly dealt with these issues for many years for my clients (I am a retired interior designer) and am glad this discussion is on the board.:)