View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
fktsewing

So glad that your problem was caught in time. My DH had fallen at work when he was 57 and hit his shin. It was sore, but bruises were minimal---now it was January and he always gets bronchitis early each year--so off to doctor who gave him antibiotics but after a month he was no better. He still coughed, and could hardly walk from one end of the room to the other without struggling to breath. He was like a 90 years old frail man. One night, he came home from work and his leg was swollen, so I rubbed it for him. We went upstairs to bed and when he took his pants off, I gasped---the injured leg was 3 times the size of the right leg. Called the doc and off to emergency room we went. They did an ultrasound and found a huge clot, immediately put him on blood thinners & some meds to dissolve the clot and the swelling finally started to go down, so they took an xray of his chest and found pieces of the clot in his lungs. They did surgery in the next few hours and put in a filter so if he got any more clots, they would not be able to get past the filter and go into either his lungs or heart. The docs said that if he had waited even one more hour, he would not have been here today. WE have recently learned that a life as you described can cause blood clots as we get older. You and my DH were lucky---ladies, if nothing else, walk---keep the blood flowing. We are now both eating better and excercising. Keep moving even when it hurts. Life is just too short.