View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Ramona Byrd

[quote=arimuse]Ramona, I do have some Diatomaceous Earth, I got it for the animals (food grade). I dust the cats when they start to scratch a bit, seems to work on fleas. You can mix it with water?? I didnt think this stuff would mix too well. Do you have a site that tells you the ratio of DE to water/food? I suppose you have to be careful with it.
----------------------------
Yes, careful about inhaling it, but otherwise I'm not very afraid of it. No, it doesn't mix well but a lot of shaking does it in a quart jar, and slugs don't attack my cannas as much now. And when the cats start scratching again I put it on both of them and should do it a little bit more often. I'm thinking that it might help if I put it in their bath's rinse water.
Last month I spent a little over 50 dollars for Front Line flea meds for cats, and they are STILL scratching. Skin is not dry, but I can see the little devils running in the white cat's fur and in Koko's white chest hairs. Also put it in their water, can't see it after that, but like I said, Koko no longer has to go to the vet for worm meds. Used to have to have shots for them, now never see any little white eggs near his upright tail anymore. That's why I took him to the vet some years ago.
No, no site that told me much but we could probably find one if we looked. I'm thinking it may be a good idea. I want to find out what else I could use it for. If it can puncture the skin of hard shelled fleas, then it could kill a lot of other bad ones. DE is used a lot for pesticide use, I think it's a lot safer than a lot of the chemicals now on the market.