View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 03:55 PM
cricut_farmer

First, I am not really a quilter. I have made a couple of full size quilts and 4 or so baby blankets but the only quilting I have done is stitch in the ditch. But I want to learn more. So I was in WalMart and saw the 2 yard precut peices on clearance for $2.50 - That's only $1.25 per yard for 100% cotton. I know WalMart fabric is not LQS quality but I thought it would be great to learn on. So I bought, probably too much. So I decided to sent a note to my daughter's Girl Scout leader offering to donate fabric since she had mentioned they were thinking about doing a quilting project. Now she is really excited and wants to know when I can teach the girls to quilt and complete the Textiles Art IP.
Soooo I'm thinking let each girl design & make her own mug rug. Then maybe I can find a quilting group at a senior center for the girls to present their mug rugs to and the seniors can show the girls the quilts they have made?? I would also like to do a field trip to see quilts, quilting techniques, etc. So, does anyone have any reccomendations in the central Maryland area - Baltimore, DC, Annapolis even into southern PA - Gettysburg, Lancaster? Also, has anyone taught girls before? Any reccomendations? There are only 7 in the troop, they are 13 years-old and great kids.