View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 04:26 AM
debbieumphress

Originally Posted by mshollysd
One thing to remember when teaching these kids to sew, (I taught boys and girls from Boys and Girls Club) make the pattern very simple, don't be a quilting policeperson, and make sure you have a safety glove when teaching them to cut out the pattern pieces with an olfa. Our kids made 25 quilts and blankets for Project linus in 9 months, and their squares were not always perfect, but since we tied them with embroydery floss, it was ok. Made the OCD person inside of me a little crazy, but I had to control that part of me.
We have troops who make Project Linus quilts and also the easier fleece quilts and tie them. What a nice surprise when they come to deliver them. They are so proud and we try to have the Project Linus volunteer purple badges for them too. The coordinators can order them thru PL headqtrs.

Thanks to all who take the time to teach our youth. It means so much. If you are in Houston Quilt show this year, go by the Project Linus booth. We have people sit with us and sew tops and crochet too, fleece, etc. Time to finish a quilt in 2 hours. HUGS♥♥♥♥♥