Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM
emsgranny

Originally Posted by gramajo
Originally Posted by Sandee
I use shecks alot & cashiers really don't like them any more....Too Bad..

I'm a cashier, so handle checks, credit & debit cards. Our check verification machine takes a long time for approval. In the meantime, the line behind the checkwriter is getting longer & people are getting impatient. I had 1 customer down the line ask "why the h*** do you take checks anyway?"

Credit & debit cards also take longer than cash sales. Sometimes when a card is declined, the customer gets mad at us & says they just made a deposit, it should go through, yada, yada, yada. Unless the deposit was cash, most banks won't release the funds until the next day.

I'm not trying to push cash, credit or debit--just trying to present the other side. BTW, I sometimes prefer using checks if I don't have enough cash on me and don't want to put it on a credit card. I don't have a debit card--it seems like too much bookkeeping for me.

Since I am on my soapbox, don't even get me started on rude/impatient/talking on their cellphone customers. Most of us behind the register are trying to do our best and be nice to even the nastiest of customers.

:-)
I too like the checks if I dont have enough cash with me. One day my daughter was with her two young children (ages 2 & 5) She is on a tight budget being a single mom and going to school. Her daughter wanted a toy that was actually on sale (She did know what the clearance stickers looked like lol) My daughter had to tell her no because mommy didnt have enough money - she innocently looked at my DD and said "Just slide that card you use at the bank to get money" Needless to say it turned into a learning experience for her lol

I agree that people arent nearly as atient or nice as they used to be - I was a customer service manager at a well known store for a few years - many moons ago - we only encountered a few customers that didnt smile back or make pleasant small talk. My dad taught me as a young child to be friendly that sometimes it makes a persons day to give them a smile or just a pleasant remark-we were walking to the small store near us and there was a gentlemen walking towards us - dad said HI to him and asked him how he was doing. The man smiled and said thanks for asking - I am great. I asked dad if he knew the man and he said no - to this day I still say HI or give a passerby a smile.

OHHHHHH-The cell phone thing deserves its own post lol
Like you I best not get started here on that lol