Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM
dollycaswell

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
After reading all of this I have an observation. When cutting out the squares on the corners shouldn't you ADD the half inch seam allowances TO THE SHEET instead of adding it to the part you are cutting off??? You want the seam allowances on the part of the sheet you are keeping wouldn't you??? or am I just not reading it right???

For instance, somewhere you mentioned for a queen size bed to cut a 15 1/2square. Shouldn't it be a 14 1/2 inch square??? Leaving a 1/2 inch seam allowance on either side of the square??
Good Morning Quilterguy,
Yes, you would add to the "sheet" part, not the cut out part. Please remember that I was trying to give a "ballpark" estimate for how to calculate the dimensions, they are not exact to the gnat's fanny!! haha In my humble opinion, a 1/2 inch seam more or less on a fitted sheet won't make a huge difference, especially if/when you have 4+ inches of material for the "tuck under" the mattress.

All of the measurements MUST start with the size of your FLAT sheet, minus the top, minus depth on the sides, and minus tuck-under portion of your calculations for the FITTED sheet. For example, all queen flat sheets don't measure exactly the same, so you'll have to start with what you have (the existing queen flat sheet), make your calculations and see if it will work for the queen fitted.

For example, I know if you are going to use a queen FLAT for a twin FITTED, you will have lots of sheet to work with. And you'll need it if you have a really deep twin mattress. If you have a skinny twin mattress (for example) you can possibly use a twin FLAT to make the twin FITTED, I know that works, because that's what I made for the YWAM base in Australia - fitted twin sheets from flat twin sheets, because the mattresses were pretty skinny.

You are welcome to PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can discuss this further if you'd like.

Any of you on this blog are welcome to PM me for my phone number, just remember I live in Alaska and we have a time difference and I don't calculate really well in the wee hours of the night/morning!! haha

In general, IF YOU HAVE A NEWER, VERY DEEP MATTRESS, NO MATTER WHAT SIZE (twin, full, queen, king) generally speaking, you WILL NOT be able to use the same size top to make the fitted bottom. You may be able to squeek it in, but it won't have much to tuck under and look beautiful.