Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
SueSew

I bought 7 fat quarters of hand-dyed fabric at the Vermont Quilt festival from a registered vendor in the exhibit hall. LOTS of people were cruising her booth which was full of lovely fabrics of all colors and they were grabbing fat quarters.

I think I got took, because only one was the right size.. but maybe hand-dyes are a separate species which does not have to conform to fat quarter specifications (no fabric police???):

3 were cut the wrong way - the selvage was on the 22" side, not the 18" side of the fabric piece.

3 were off size - one gave me a bare 17" after I tried to line it up as it was too crooked in all directions but the selvage. One was 16" x 24". One was barely ok.

The issue for my project (a cute fat-quarter "easy no brainer" pattern LOL) is I needed to use them cut into varied width strips on the *** Long Grain *** to sandwich between other fabric I already had purchased and I needed at least 17" to make the 8 1/2" raw block size work. Fortunately I have enough extra of the gorgeous Keepsake Quilting batik I bought on-line to make it work. This fabric was supposed to be the 'pop' in the quilt, not the "poop"!

The issue for my pocketbook, is, before I call the vendor, and complain to the Festival, is, am I out of line to be extremely annoyed by crummy wonky wrong-sized fat quarters?

Please sound out on this!

Thanks much
Sue