Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 AM
mom2boyz

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I too have a Cricut Expression and a Gypsy. I have not cut fabric but I have cut vinyl. The Gypsy allows you to alter an image and to place the image on the mat & fabric where you want it. There might be quite a bit of waste (of fabric) if you don't use the Gypsy. You can fill the entire 12x24 mat with images or the same image and then cut it in one fell swoop. The time depends on how intricate the design is. You can't cut more than one layer of fabric at a time. How many do you think you will need? The cost might be in blades and mats as the mats only stay sticky so long. And by the way, the cartridges have come way down in price. I don't know about this flower one as I haven't seen this one before. Cartridges that were once $89.95 can now be purchased on several websites for as low as $14.95.
Thanks so much for the information. I didn't realize there were 12x24 size mats for that machine. It looks so small.

My flowers need to be around 3" and 5" to fit on 4" and 6" backgrounds, and about 150(?) in total. I just arbitrarily picked that cartridge because it's close to what I want.

Now I've read a bit about the Gypsy. Who knew? ;-)
So I could design the template to be exactly what I want, and then print it out in a variety of sizes, right?

I was really NOT wanting to buy a machine, but is this a good deal?
http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/cricut-...ewing-_-126124
This is probably not the machine you want. The mat for this is 6x12. You probably want the Cricut Expression. And yes/no. In a way you can design, but the cartridges have pre-designed images. To do your own design or to use clip-art from the web, you would also need Cricut design studio or buy a program on line called SCAL, short for Sure Cuts A Lot. I am not a computer person so have not even tried these, plus it would be very unhandy for me to connect my computer to my Cricut.