Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
MacThayer

Originally Posted by psychonurse
Welcome from Ala. Do you still have your one stitch machine?
have lot of fun with your new multi stitch. Isn't technology fun and annoying at the same time. If you have not, I suggest you buy a workbook for your new machine, it will be invaluable.
I wish I did still have my one stitch. It's now decades old, and while it's been cleaned and oiled from time to time, it has only been repaired once. I did that. I remember the bill too. It cost me a whole $16. But then, I'm dating myself, aren't I? That's back when gas was 39 cents a gallon, and I thought $16 was outrageous! But it hasn't been in the shop since, except for routine maintenance. When I started working full time and going to school evenings, I pretty much stopped sewing, along with just about everything else except eating and sleeping. My older sister asked if she could have my one stitch machine for her daughter to learn on. Jill still has that machine (a sturdy Singer), is still using it regularly, makes and repairs most of her own and her kids clothes, and because she's divorced now, considers it a godsend because it saves her so much money. So I would never ask for it back. She wouldn't give it to me anyway! It's been her's since she was 9!

I was absolutely gobsmacked when I walked into the sewing machine store and saw all of the new machines with all of the stitches. I had no idea it had come to this, honestly. A computerized sewing machine? It never occurred to me. I was going to go for a machine with far fewer stitches, but my husband is a computer techie, and he was with me, and was absolutely enthralled with the fancy machines. He kept pushing me toward the fancier machines. That's how I ended up with one with so many stitches. He kept saying: "If you don't get one now, you'll start sewing and wish you had more variety in your stitches." He's probably right, I don't know. Am just getting started "playing" with the stitches. It sure is fun!