Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 PM
MacThayer

Originally Posted by stitches2share
Hi,
I too live in sunny Henderson. If you would ever like to meet for a smoothie and show n tell. We have lived in the Vegas Valley since 1989. Have a great day to all,
Vicki
Hi Vicki, Would love to meet and share tales. As of yet, I don't have anything to "show". I've just finally got my sewing machine set up, and have been playing with the stitches. The manual tells me how to alter each stitch, if possible, through changing the width and/or length of the stitch. So I'm slowly working my way through the stitches, trying to get used to them and what they look like, and think about what they may be useful for. I went to Goodwill and bought a huge pile of clothing, towels, mismatched sheets, curtains --- all for $20. I am trying out each stitch on several different fabrics, seeing if I have to alter the upper or lower tension when I switch fabrics. and seeing how the stitch looks and acts on the fabric. I'd like to make all of my mistakes on fabric that I can throw away with a clear conscience! So I guess you could say I'm picking my way through. Of course, I'm reading everything I can about quilting and sewing, collecting some good books, slowly building up my stock of notions so I'm have what I need to work with, and even buying some fabrics for when it's time to do something serious. But I need to get used to this new machine first, and since I've only been really working on it for just over a week now, I'm not really comfortable with it yet. I'm so looking forward to getting back to the kind of sewing I did as a teenager and into my 20's. I made quilts, almost all of my own clothes, and I used to sell formal dresses for proms, balls and weddings (but not wedding dresses). That's how I made extra money in college. And all I had then was a vintage one stitch!

I'm probably boring you by now! I do tend to get carried away when talking about sewing/quilting. Let's do meet. I have to go out of town next week, so perhaps when I get back, so say early August?