Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

I have been selling to a local store for the last 10 years and I can tell you that you will not get everything you have wrapped up in it. The formula is to add up the cost of your supplies and add for your labor.
But if you charged everything you should it would be more than most people would pay.

I look at it and think what would I pay for this? And you need to do some research and see what similar things are selling for in your area. I sell mine far below what i should because I want it to sell. If I make it and it just sits on my shelf it doesn't do me any good.
You want to decide what your bottom line is for how much you have to have back to buy more fabric and supplies. Then add what the market will allow. If you see a quilt or table runner with a price that seems reasonable to you if you were going to buy it then use that as a guide.

As far as selling things-- check out any gift shops and stores that might be interested in selling your products. Make up a sample that you can show and something you could give as freebie if you can. If not at least make up a flyer or card that you could leave with people that you talk to.

Enter your products on EBay or set up an inexpensive ministore online. You can find places online that will let you set up a page or do a blog.

Anything to get your name out there. Post flyers in quilt stores if they will let you. Here some stores have poster boards where you can post things, If you have any stores or places that will let you post an ad then try that.

You can run an ad in the newspaper also. Depends on how expensive it is. We have free papers here that go out jsut for this kind of thing. You can put an ad in the Bonny Buyer or the Fairfield Free Flyer for a small amount and the paper is free to anyone. So you get lots of people to see it.

Word of mouth is a great way to sell also. Let your local quild or quilt shops know you have things for sale. People will spread the word sometimes for you.

If you have any stores that take things on commission you could check that out also. They take a percentage if you sell. Some you have to pay a monthly fee and some you don't.

Hope this gives you some ideas!