View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
JoanneS

I made this lap quilt as a thank you to my DD, Kelly's friend, Bonnie, who helped her move into her new apartment. DD's Horse's A** soon-to-be ex decided to have an affair - kept it a secret for 8 months - and then decided to move in with the tramp. Deserted DD and 17 yr old daughter during latter's senior yr in HS. What a rat.

DD's friend has been super supportive, and DD and I had talked about me making a quilt as a thank you, when out of the blue, Bonnie hesitantly asked Kelly if she thought I might make a quilt for her - quickly adding that she would provide the fabric. Kelly told her, yes, yes!

The fabric is amazing! I should have taken a picture of it, too. maybe another time - because there's enough to make 2 or 3 more quilts if Bonnie desires!

This quilt is based on a Pepper Cory design from YEARS ago. I My colors are completely different, and it's my idea to make the center light and to use the lines in the blocks to make curves. I made a similar quilt 10 or 15 years ago with African fabs, and it's one of my favorites. It was a wedding gift to a couple who was moving to Africa to do their PhDs. Now they work for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Pretty amazing people.

There are only 3 blocks - but they're not pieced traditionally. Bonnie is a designer, so I chose this, because I figured it would appeal to her - traditional blocks with non-traditional piecing. Her fabrics are interesting - one of the grays is a cowboy print with quirky place-names which I fussy cut; the other gray is birch bark with shiny silver streaks; I fussy cut the Asian girls and flowers from another. I love the Mod black/white/tan print -wish there was MORE of it. I used every shred I had! The only fab that isn't Bonnie's is the 1/2" black flange between the center and the borders. I hadn't included it when I put the design into EQ, but it needed 'something' when I saw it on my design wall. Pepper didn't have it in her quilt, so it's another difference btw hers and mine.

I've been calling it Bonnie's Stars, but that's entirely too plain for this quilt - LOL. Please help - so many of you-all have come up with clever ideas for others - maybe you can help me!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225897.jpe