Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Wunder-Mar

I have floor-to-ceiling cupboards, so I put the batting up on the highest level since I have to access it less frequently that everything else.
I have stacked drawers which hold "all those small notions and doo-dads," thangle and foundation piecing paper goods, and fat quarters organized by "style" (and only a quilter would know what I meant by that!).
I have pull-out shelves for non-fat-quarter fabric storage and, boy, has it ever saved my back!
I have a 96x96 design board permanently affixed to the wall. (But a friend of mine who had sliding doors to the closet in her sewing room took the same principles of my board and developed a 2-piece design board that works very well for her.) I used 4'x8' insulation panels sold in Home Depot/Lowe's; they come in various thicknesses and I chose 1/2"; we affixed these styrofoam-like panels using a glue that doesn't eat it, and then we covered the whole panel with gridded flannel, which was admittedly the most expensive thing about the design board. I had to piece the yardage, pressing open the center seam, and we affixed it to the styrofoam-like insulation panels with a slightly diluted white glue, also sold in Home Depot/Lowe's. The grid lines, 2" intervals, aren't exactly straight, but they still do the job most excellently.
Above the design wall, my husband mounted brackets on either side of the design board, just above the board, where he rigged something to hold three 8' long dowels; I inserted the dowels into the long tubes used for upholstery/home dec fabric, which I got from the local JoAnn's for free. I covered the tubes with 2 layers of unbleached 108" wide muslin (trimmed to fit), allowing several feet of muslin to drape from the tube. I pin quilt blocks for works-in-progress onto the muslin and simply roll them up and out of the way; I pull them down to look at the layout before final assembly, and those projects still in progress are conveniently stored until I get to them.