View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM
RugosaB

So, I was just reading an old thread about oleo vs margarine, and material vs fabric, and it got me to thinking about my dad, especially when someone said they grew up on a farm.

My dad grew up on a farm, one of about 14 kids, and when they killed something to eat, they used the WHOLE thing. He used to tell us that at their supper table, the kids would fight over what was in the chicken soup, because they knew it was made from a freshly killed chicken.
When the chicken was butchered, female of course, there were various stages of the egg inside of her. The kids loved, and fought over these shell-less eggs that Grandma used to throw in the soup, whole.

Related, as kids, when we were acting a little crazy, we were told to be 'running around like a chicken with its head cut off.' When they killed the chicken, they'd chop it's head off and just put it on the ground. It ran around for a few seconds, without a head, hence the saying 'running around like a chicken with its head cut off'

I can honestly say I have never had an egg like that, and didn't even know they existed until Dad told me