View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 AM
bri1977

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Originally Posted by bri1977
Thank you so much everyone. The people on this board are sooo nice :) I once read that "It's not a quilt until it's quilted," and with all of the marvelous talent being displayed on the board, I guess I was just afraid they weren't "worthy." Anyway, Thanks again!
Have never made one but it is on my "todo" list! Love yours! :thumbup: Roughly, how much would you say they shrink so I know how much larger to make mine. How are the edges finished?
Hmmm...I didn't pre wash, of course, but I don't think they shrank so much that they were a totally different size after washing. I cut 6 1/2 inch squares sewn with 1/2 inch seams on the small blankets, 8 1/2 inch with 3/4 inch seams on the Colts one and 10 1/2 inch with 1 inch seams on the Patriots one. You can really control the length and width with the size of squares and seam allowances.

!! I say Reinforce all the seams!! And back stitch the beginnings and ends of everything.

They can become quite heavy and you don't want the seams to "pop" when shaking the loose threads off. (I had this happen once and you can't fix them once they've been clipped and washed)
The edge is zig zag stitched however far in you made your seam allowance and clipped all the way around just like the rest although some people bind theirs in the traditional manner.

I also used a Walking Foot. When you pin your rows together, lay top seams facing left and bottom facing right...you dont want them laying on top of eachother or you'll be sewing through like 10 layers of fabric :lol:

I also switched to a 16 needle when sewing the rows together and then back to a 14 for the zig zag edge.
sorry for the "windy" post