Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by kwendt
I found a beat up, falling apart parlor type cabinet.
The old glue is defunct. All the joins are coming apart. The veneer, which was a sheet over the boards, is cracked top to bottom where the boards were glued edge to edge. What glue would you recommend for old, dried out 1880 wood?
First the glue used in these old cabinets is hyde glue (you know the kind melted in hot glue pots) This old glue must come off before any glue will stick. Everything must come apart so the old glue can be removed fortunately is water soluble and can be soften with hot water and a rag and then gently scraped off. You can use any wood glue but hyde glue will be the mark proper retoration and will not devalue the piece. Pm me later and I will go into detail on the rest. Don't worry about the dry look we will take care of this after the repairs are complete. Remember wood does not need to be fed it is dead. It does not need to be oiled. It is dry because of a lack of moisture. Propably stored in a very warm place and this is also why the glue let go. Glenn
Thanks, Glenn. You bet I'll PM you next week or so. I'll take pictures of what I have, put together sort of. Then take it apart again carefully. Then I'll PM you. Not sure where to find replacement Hyde glue, but I'll google. Yes, this piece was stored in someone's garage for 50 years it looks like. Hot, humid florida.

I'm now contacting museums to see if anyone else has one of these exact cabinets. And yes, I did contact TreadleOn and the Yahoo Vintage White group to see if any of those folks know of replacement parts. If this is one of the few remaining #9's, I'll need to restore this carefully and properly.