View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
mpspeedy

I believe it goes in cycles. I actually interested my mother and mother-in-law in quilting. Both had sewn, my mother-in-law out of necessity and my mother had actually majored in Home ecnomics in the couple of years she went to college. Both of them started quilting in their late sixties. I have been quilting since I was 16 and am now 60. My daughter, step-daughter, daughters-in law and my three grand daughters have shown absolutely no interest.
I live in the mid-Atlantic region and am able to go to quilt shows in the PA area where there are still healthy Amish and Mennonite communities. The quilt shows in those areas are well attended but I see few people there under forty. As a former member of a professonal quilting group, all of the members were of my vintage give or take 10 years. Our modern version of quilting can be a very expensive hobby. Many of our children don't have that kind of money to spend after they keep up with the latest electronic gadgets etc. My kids spend a lot of money on their elaborate cellphone plans that I put into quilting. I hope I live long enough for one of my daughters or granddaughters to ask me to teach them to quilt.