Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
sparkys_mom

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Thanks for all of the suggestions and as I see it, everyone uses a rainbow of widths! I get the part about the batting thickness and all, but if most are using warm/ natural type, why the difference in widths? This is where I wouldn't know how to figure out my seam allowance.

As far as joining the 2 end pieces...I was following Sharon Schamber's video, but I screw up. I had plenty of binding, but I guess I didn't leave an "open" enough space left unsewn?? I don't know really. Anyway, the binding that I took off looks like crap with all of the dried glue all over it! lol It also didn't stick well for me, so I guess I am lucky for that. Since the small wall hanging that I was trying to bind had an appliqued rag flag on it, I just decided to clip the edges and let it be my border. I hate only being able to make raggy stuff!

Oh, how I long to know how to hand stitch anything down!! I have tons of books and tried to watch videos, but either I can't get the image right in my head, or I can't see "exactly" where they are putting the tip pf the needle, etc. When I have tried with some little things, the stitching is awful, and some you can see and some you can't. Another epic fail.
I didn't see anyone mention this but you might also try self-binding. I'm pretty new at quilting and my bindings are far from perfect - but I keep working on it. Last week, I tried self-binding a quilt. It isn't as durable but it also wasn't as hard. Here is a link to a tutorial and I'm sure you can find others. One thing, this one talks about hand sewing, but once you get to that step, you could also just machine stitch on the front - either with matching thread on a mono-filament.
http://carinascraftblog.wardi.dk/201...ing-quilt.html