Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Just-Lee

Originally Posted by Holice
OK. Go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe see if you can find the video on binding that I did.
But to answer your question. When you are doing patchwor and the blocks come out to the edge of the qult you normally have only 1/4 inch seam allowance for your binding. If you have a border then you have have a 1/4" or larger. I do borders so my allowance is 3/8"
Generally, for a 3/8" seam allowance I cut the binding 2.1/4" and double it. For a 1/4" seam allowance, about 2" is sufficient. As a general guide your cut binding for a double fold binding is 6 times the width of your seam allowance. But you have to adjust to make sure this is ok as sometimes it is too wide for me.
Look for the QuiltersTV show I did on bindings. I believe you will find it helpful. Having sai all this, you will find each quilt has his or her favorite method of binding so don't be confused because they all work. f course, my instructions are the best....lol.
Holice, love your heart!
That is an awesome site and I had no clue anything like that existed! It is still loading, so I figured I would take a sec to respond to your post. That is what I needed to know, what width to use. I always have too much! Oh! And we won't even discuss blanket stitching or the like...it never works out for me and boy they are hard to rip out!