Thread: Donation Quilts
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Maybe1day

Hello Fellow Quilters,

I read the earlier piece about donating quilts with interest because as stated I make and donate quilts to various places/organizations etc. I do not on the whole give them a second thought once they have left my hands mainly because I love to quilt and just can't keep every one I make, plus I like to think someone else is gaining some comfort from what I can share.

Donating can become expensive, we all know how the cost of living continually rises and so of course does the cost of our hobbies or creative outlets if you like. I am on a limited income so when it comes to making quilts for charity I tend to buy my fabrics on sale ($5 -10/metre) although even then the quilts can still be expensive to make. Since I started making these quilts a small group of fellow quilters have joined me and we meet monthly to "sew for charity" and as a result of people hearing about this we have received donations of fabric, some end of bolts, some left over from peoples projects and some samples which has been a wonderful help. Most of the donated fabrics are child prints and so only good for childrens quilts.

While I do use the donated fabrics for some of the quilts I make, I do not do so for all of them, for example if I make an adults quilt. Due to the rising cost of everything I now ask the charity I donate these particular quilts to for a receipt for the cost of materials (not my time) and will claim the cost of my donations on tax.

Win win outcome

Maybe1day