View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
According to EQ5, I can make a whole block with 1/2 yard of fabric: 1/8 for the green and another 1/8 for the background. [/color]
This would be 1/4 yard of fabric, not 1/2.

Look how much moola you just saved. ;-)

ooc, how are you going to cut the fabric? Do you have templates?
I wonder what John Flynn uses to cut his kits, or if any of the Accu machines have WW die.

I'd love to make one, but have no patience to cut out all that fabric.

What about pure solid black and white as the background? Like Kona cotton? Does that show off the greens to better effect? You should be able to see it in EQ.

If not, and you still want use tonals for the black and white backgrounds, I wouldn't make them too noticeably different. They should be tone-on-tones with maybe a variety of textures.
But anything else and I think it gets too busy, and takes away from the green designs.
And this is why my worst subject in school was math. lol. Actually, I think I was thinking back when originally I had 8" and those did use quarter yards for each color. But after I posted I printed off one of the template pieces and laid it out on one of my quarter yards...I figured out I could roughly get enough clover leaves to make 5 blocks and there would be a little extra. I was considering using any large scraps leftover to make up the border instead of buying new fabric for it.

I don't own an AccuCut machine. Somebody on here recommended these templates (I forget who makes them off the top of my head) and I think I'll get those. I don't mind using templates because I can take them everywhere with me and I don't have to have a rotary cutter and mat for them.

I pulled up the EQ5 file and tried it with the solid black and white. The black didn't look great. It definatly made the greens pop, but I saw that it lost the texture and dimension when switched to a true solid. The solid white was okay, but the tone on tone gave it a bit of an oomph. [/color]