Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by miriam

I would get some penetrating oil from below (turn her upside down - be very careful of your paint though. Then I would try heat on that screw. DH has more strength than I do for that. He had to drill one out with some special kind of tool once. I stayed out of his way... I usually use a screw driver tip from out of the kind that stores in the handle and a tiny wrench to get those off - I used to have a long screw driver ground at a slight angle worked pretty good - it was stolen a while back... It is very hard sometimes to get that screw out because of the angle you have to work at. I'd hate to see the repair bill just getting that screw out.... and I'd hate to hear somebody talking to that machine...

When you lift the lid what do you see the shuttle doing? You said you got thread out. Is the notch in it's right place or is it spinning around under there? You did say it turned nice. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ght-manual.pdf look at the info on page 12. It has a great photo of how it is suppose to look. I realize it is a FW but they look about the same. If it is not set like that it could be your problem. But you still have to get the plate off and reset the notch if that is what is wrong.
OK, yes, I'll try again tonite since the WD40 will have been on for 24 hours. The finger is in the notch correctly. I just can't see what's happening, because I can't get the throat plate off!! LOL Catch-22 here!! I even have the bobbin holder out, and I still can't see what's going on. I was prepared to take everything apart last night, and then I had that stupid screw stuck in there!! I took the oil cover off the bottom and looked up there with a flashlight, and that's how I saw the thread wrapped around. I used my handy little seam ripper and got out what I could see.

Phyllis, when I turn the handwheel the needle bar does move up and down, but the needle won't go down the throat. It's hitting on something that I can't see. That's where the problem is. When I asked if it could be out of time, everyone thought that was doubtful. So..... OK, Round 2 tonite!!!\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuwyGYd75g DH used some kind of thing similar but it wasn't inside the harp - it was a stuck screw on my Elna's free arm. Then the throat plate is stuck on a different identical machine... and it is still stuck. I'm missing my long angled screw driver - I'm thinking I need to see if DH's grinder is hooked up... :?