View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
SueN

Thanks for the suggestion. I took Andri's class. And no, the pattern did not extend to the center. I wasn't trying for bright red, rather a red that matched my sunroom decor.
Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by SueN
I started one in a workshop 2 years ago and never finished -- couldn't figure out what to do in the middle, plus what I thought was a reddish fabric looks brown. Any ideas?
Wow. Very cool.

You can really see all the matching up that needs to be done. Did the pattern you were using not call for continuing the vortex into the center? Was is based on Andi's DVD?

If you're not making an exact duplicate of THE quilt, then you can put a brown center with some fabulous applique - some sort of motif that you might like (birds, flowers, whatever).

And so it's not bright red. I've never really understood the need to make EXACT duplicates of existing quilts. (Although, that said, look at the winner of Paducah this year)

For me - I'm really, really fond of spirals. Sort of continues the vortex/wormhole effect (and speaks to the sci-fi geek in me ;-) ). And that motif could be continued on the border/background. And done. Wall hanging. Unless you wanted it as the center of a bed quilt.